Landsea Homes draws on a global perspective to create urban and suburban communities in prime markets for sophisticated, discerning buyers. We bring insights, innovative approaches, and open-minded thinking to the way we choose where to build, what to build, how to build and—most importantly—why, for our buyers.
We are seeking an intelligent and ambitious individual interested in an exciting and challenging position as Director of Land Acquisition. The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee the strategic and tactical operations of the Land Acquisition Department and activities that support achievement of the division’s business plans. This role develops and ensures implementation of the division’s land acquisition strategy by setting goals and creating policies and procedures and driving actions necessary to achieve the business plan. Responsible for employee staffing, development, training, and retention.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- LAND STRATEGY – Design, implement & manage action plans to achieve forecasted lots needed to meet division’s business plan goals. Establish land acquisition goals that support the business plan. Identify areas for improvement that will assist the achievement of business plan goals & provide the opportunity for growth of the division’s sales & operations activities.
- LAND SEARCH – Utilize a variety of database and marketing tools and systems to determine development feasibility and identify land acquisition opportunities that align with market strategy and business plan goals. Maintain a tracking log and land search map of viable tracts as well as a log of comparable transactions in surrounding areas. Create reports from market research software and other data sources to define competitors and assess revenues. Research ownership information, prepare initial analysis, and identify contacts to initialize negotiations to purchase land.
- INVESTMENT COMMITTEE – Direct & manage the identification of opportunities for lots/land, Letters of Intent (LOI’s), negotiations, proforma financial analysis, and purchase agreements for acquisition of lots/land to support the division. With the guidance of Division leadership, prepare detailed investment packages and executive summary’s with relevant support data for submittal to Corporate Investment Committee to seek approval of real estate transactions. Prepare forms necessary to transact wires for said acquisitions. Prepare and maintain deposit and closing schedules.
- MANAGEMENT – Direct & manage acquisition staff. Responsible for all land acquisition goals to achieve the business plan goals & targeted growth of the division. Responsible for creating a positive, motivating, and challenging work environment to promote productivity. Build & maintain strong positive relationships with other division departments that support teamwork and lead to the success of the division in reaching all business plan goals. Conducts interviews and makes hiring decisions. Continually evaluates the land team’s performance to identify skill gaps, implement training/development solutions, and drive achievement of business plan goals and growth targets. Recommends and participates in development plans and corrective actions when needed.
- GENERAL – Research and analyze basic sub-market demographics and growth trends and new project information.
- KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS: Strong computer skills and software experience. Proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Adobe Acrobat. Candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate and interact with various internal departments and outside contacts to obtain information and follow up on outstanding issues to ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner. Candidate must be a creative problem solver with a strong work ethic, be a self-starter, a team player with a willingness to learn. Analytical and organized with strong attention to detail and deadlines are valuable attributes.
Key qualifications include:
- Four-year college degree: preferably in Business or Finance.
- VP level:
- 10+ years of land acquisition experience in support of achieving business plans, building a pipeline of land opportunities, and driving business revenue/unit/profitability growth
- 5+ years of direct management experience of land acquisition team
- Director level:
- 5+ years of proven land acquisition transaction experience
- 2+ years of leadership experience of small to medium-sized teams
- Demonstrated leader within homebuilding or related industry 5 years minimum employment experience in similar roles.
- VP level:
- Advanced PC skills: with Excel, Microsoft Word, and Power Point (MS Project experience a plus as well).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Team player with strong work ethic.
- Readily available to travel to current and new development projects in the Bay Area and Central Valley
- Excellent analytical and writing skills required.
- Hands on individual-detail oriented.
This is primarily a sedentary position. May be required to occasionally bend, stoop, reach, lift, move and carry office materials and supplies weighing 25 pounds or less. Finger dexterity is required to operate a computer keyboard.
Must be authorized to work in the United States.
This position is full time.